CHICCY BARITONE is not content with being the last in line. She has strategically moved her way to the front of the line where she maintains a strong presence. Introduced to the poetry circuit in 2001 and affectionately named, “Chiccy Baritone” (Pronounced “chick-y”) Charlene Evans lives up to the full meaning of her stage name - Chic, well-put together (spiritually and emotionally).
CHICCY BARITONE uses her deep melodic alto voice to share her life stories in poetry form with much authority! Her work can best be described as spiritually grounded, filled with real life situations and God-filled solutions.
CHICCY BARITONE resides in Greenville, SC and earned a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology from South Carolina State University. She moved Upstate to begin her journey into adulthood while working in the corporate arena.
CHICCY BARITONE embraces that there are no limits when it comes to reaching people with her poetry; classrooms, clubs, Church . . . her stage is diverse. She knows this is only the beginning of where God is extending the use of his Word in her as His vessel. She won’t be the last, but her prayer is to leave a challenging word in your heart and soul, long after she has left the stage.
CHICCY BARITONE launched her sophomore project Wildflower January 2013 and engages her social media network through a bi-weekly Blog. In addition, the prestigious internationally recognized TEDxGreenville 2014 conference selected Chiccy Baritone as a performing artist out of 150 nominees.
"Poetry is LIFE, chiccy baritone speaks LIFE and what is life or chiccy without POETRY?"
· Debut CD “Next In Line”
· Sophomore CD “Wildflower"
· Featured Artist on the campus of the University of Pretoria in South Africa for “UnMasked” poetry event
· Featured in Rolling On Magazine
· Performing Artist for the MLK Weekend Greenville county nonprofit organization
· Performing Artist on Carolina Now aired on WYCW Channel 62 - TV Now
· Featured writer in Impact Detroit Magazine, DeVon Franklin (Sony VP) Sparkle Holiday Edition
· ‘Church Girl’ aired as intro during radio interview with UP TV Network screen writer Rhonda F. Baraka (Pastor Brown, Trinity Goodheart, Marry Me For Christmas )
· Performer for ‘11th Annual Young Entrepreneur Conference,’ Auntie Karen Foundation, Benedict College
· Performing Artist for Bishop I.V. Hilliard’s ‘Reunion Sunday Family and Friends Festival’ Houston, TX
· Featured Monthly Writer for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Social Media Site, Ransom
· Featured in G Magazine, “Saved By the Written Word”
· Performing Artist for Billy Graham Ministries Annual “Rock the River Tour”
· Opening Act for Michelle Obama, Women’s Conference, Columbia, SC
· Cover of IMARA Woman Magazine
· MetroBeat Magazine, “Hip Hop: Chiccy Baritone – Upstate poet’s world outreach with spoken word”
· Voted ‘Best New Poet’ by Las Vegas Poets Society
· Featured in Greenville Magazine, “Young, Gifted and Black -16 African Americans changing the face of Greenville”
· South Carolina State University (SCSU) Review Magazine, "Distinguish Alumni under 40"
· Creator/Producer of annual all women poetry showcase, “R U Skooled: From a Woman’s Perspective Poetically”